What Happens If My Dog Ate Gum With Xylothil: Dog Ate Gum Without Xylitol

What Happens If My Dog Ate Gum With Xylothil: Dog Ate Gum Without Xylitol

March 10, 2011 | Healthy Dog | Leave a Comment |

Dog Ate Gum

Dogs are naturally inquisitive animals. They sniff at anything. They take a bite or even eat anything that they could fit inside their mouths. Thus, they are prone to experiencing problems like ingestion of non-food objects such as gum, bones, and toys.

Dog Ate Gum With Xylitol

  • The problem with gum with xylitol is that this sweetener can cause a host of problems in the dog. In fact, it could poison the dog and trigger a sudden release of insulin resulting to significant drop in the dog’s blood sugar levels.

    This will bring the dog to a diabetic shock that could immediately kill it as major organs like the liver are forced to shut down.

  • Xylitol is very potent even in small quantities, acting in as fast as 30 to cause a significant drop in the dog’s sugar levels.

Dog Ate Gum Without Xylitol

If the dog has eaten a gum that does not have xylitol, it still has a risk of having problems such as blockage of the digestive passage.

What Happens If My Dog Ate Gum

  • When the dog eats the gum, its components are easily broken down as it travels down the digestive tract.
  • If it contains xylitol, this will trigger secretion of insulin.
  • With very high insulin levels in the body, the blood sugar drops.
  • The liver shuts down.
  • The best thing to do is to induce vomiting and bring the dog to a vet immediately.

Speak Your Mind

Reply


*