Causes of Swollen Abdomen in Cats
- Swollen abdomen in cats can be caused by tumors (More information on intestine lymphoma in cats ) , impactions, hernias or intestinal blockage.
- Tumors tend to effect older cats and most of the time they are cancerous.
- If a cat is fecally impacted the abdomen will be distended and may be tender to touch. Indoor cats are easy to keep track of with bowel movements because you are cleaning up their litter boxes.
Outdoor cats are a little more difficult.
- Also read indoor exercises for dogs
- To prevent constipation or fecal impaction (Read more about cat constipation and its treatment) , make sure the food you are providing has adequate fiber in it.
- Infection in cat’s body can cause glands inflammation, read more about Swollen Lymph Nodes In Cats
- Cats that eat dry food only tend to dehydrate quicker and may have difficulty passing stool through the bowels.
- You may want to read more on weight loss in cats and its causes.
Treatments for Swollen Abdomen In Cats
- Adequate water daily is essential to good GI tract and intestinal health. If the cat must eat dry food or won’t eat anything but dry food, at least add water or broth to it regularly.
- Metamucil or psyllium may be added to cat food to help with bowel movements.
- Intestinal blockage is a much more serious problem in cats. The blockage can be a foreign body or something the cat ate that was not food.
- In cases of partial obstruction, the cat may still have bowel movements but it can be diarrhea or small quantities of dry hard stool. The cat will still pass flatus and may have a decreased appetite.
- In complete obstruction, the abdomen will be as hard as a board and extremely tender to touch. Vomiting will be present.
- If the obstruction is in the upper intestines the vomiting will be projectile. If the difficulty is with the lower intestines you may observe vomitus that looks and smells like poop.
- Regardless of what section the blockage is in, medical intervention is necessary. Strangulation or twisting of the bowel can be life threatening. Anything that interferes with the blood supply to the intestines is serious.
- Seek medical attention for any distention in the abdomen that does not resolve itself. Death could occur without it. Surgery may be necessary.
- Tips on How to treat Cat Swollen Mammary Glands