Poisonous Foods for Dogs: Most Toxic Food and Fruits for Dogs
Pet owners should be aware that in the average home, there are many toxic food items that are harmful to dogs. These foods, when ingested, can put the dog’s life at risk. Read also insulin overdose in dogs
Toxic Fruits and Food for Dogs
The following are poisonous foods for dogs:
- Macadamia nuts
- Potato peelings
- Rhubarb leaves
- Yeast dough
- Soft drinks
- Alcoholic beverages
- Raw eggs
- Raw fish
- Moldy or spoiled food
- Human vitamins
- Sugar-free food – as in those containing xylitol
- Milk and dairy products
- Large quantities of salt
- Large quantities of sugar
- Tobacco, cigarettes, and cigars
- Fruit pits and seeds
- Cat food
- Chewing gum
- Corn cob
- Also get more information on how to induce vomiting in dogs
Most Poisonous Foods for Dogs
This contains theobromide which can affect lungs, heart, kidneys, and central nervous system.
- Onions and garlic. These can cause hemolytic anemia or destruction of red blood cells and kidney damage.
- Alcoholic beverages. These are highly toxic.
- Caffeinated beverages.
- Human vitamins and supplements such as iron
- Macadamia nuts. These are highly toxic but not fatal. Still, it can cause a lot of medical problems.
- Xylitol. It stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin. This results in hypoglycemia or low blood sugar. This can also cause liver damage.
- Yeast dough. It can expand and cause gas in the intestines and stomach. This can cause stomach and intestine rupture.
Poisonous Fruits for Dogs
Things to Remember
- When preparing food for the dogs, it is important to keep these food items away.
- Also, don’t keep these items lying around so that the dogs can’t find and accidentally ingest them.