What is Protein in the Body?
- The main form of protein the body is albumin.
- Albumin is responsible for the transfer of nutrients to the different cells.
- Low protein levels in canines can indicate a lot of diseases or condition.
What Causes Low Protein Levels in Dogs?
Some of most common causes of low protein levels in the blood include:
- Malnutrition – It could be that the dog is not getting enough protein in the diet.
Owners should check what the dog is eating. If buying from a dog store, they check the nutrition content information on the packaging. Read symptoms and causes of protein insufficiency
- Kidney Problems – The kidneys filter out waste in the body. When functioning normally, they do not let out larger molecules like protein and blood. If protein is being leached out in the urine, there could be something wrong with the kidney.
- Infection – If infection is present, the body will use up its stored protein in order to help it fight the condition.
- Malabsorption – Protein is absorbed in the intestines. Intestinal parasites could be the ones depleting the dog’s protein levels. Some intestinal conditions could also lead to problems with absorption.
Symptoms of Low Protein in Dogs
The symptoms of low protein levels in dogs depend on the extent of the deficiency. Some common symptoms to look out for include:
- Malaise – generalized weakness
- Weight Loss
- Excessive Urination
- Cloudy Colored Urine
Treatment for Low Protein Levels
Treating low protein levels in dogs depends on treating the underlying cause of the condition. Common treatment methods include:
- Increase protein intake – given to malnourished dogs
- Nutritional Therapy – given to dogs who have anorexia
- Deworming – for dogs that have issues with parasites
- Antibacterial therapy.
- Protein Deficiency In Dogs: Symptoms & Causes of Protein Insufficiency
- What Causes High Lipase Levels In Dogs | How Is Elevated Lipase Treated
- Low Albumin In Dogs: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment Of Hypoalbuminemia
- High Cholesterol In Dogs (Canines): Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
- Low Thyroid In Dogs: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment Of Hypothyroidism