L-Lysine for Cats
- L-Lysine is an amino acid.
- It is present in both humans and animals, including cats.
- It can be used as supplement or medication to treat various illnesses.
L-Lysine for Cats
- Stomatitis is one of the ailments that this amino acid can help cure. Stomatitis is an advance disease of the gums, usually present in older cats. L-Lysine indirectly works on this ailment by strengthening the cat’s immune system. Read lysine side effects in cats
- Feline herpes could also affect many cats. The ailment causes watery eyes, sneezing, and nasal discharge.
This ailment is caused by a virus which utilizes the cat’s own DNA to produce copies of itself. Supplementation with L-lysine will ensure that the healthy cells have enough of the amino acid to function well and help prevent the spread of the virus.
- Overall, L-lysine boosts the immune system. As with humans, a cat with a healthy immune system will have a better chance of fighting and curing diseases. This will also help in disease prevention.
- Also Read symptoms and side effects of too much insulin
L-Lysine for Cats Dosage
- Dosage will actually depend on the extent of the ailment, the cat’s weight, and level of health.
- The vet is the best person to determine the dosage to be given to the cat.
- Use feline or animal use L-lysine because the medication for humans contains propylene glycol which can cause severe anemia in cats.
L-Lysine for Cats Side Effects
- Cats can actually have allergic reactions to L-lysine. These are manifested by facial swelling, itchiness, vomiting, and seizures.
- The medication can also cause diarrhea, pale gums, and toxicity.
Benefits of L-Lysine for Cats
- There are many benefits that L-lysine can bring to cats. Although there are side effects, the positive benefits are still more than the negatives.