Causes of Sudden Hearing Problem in Cats
- Although hearing loss gradually over the years are perfectly normal. A cause of sudden hearing loss in cats generally is related to injury or some medical illness.
- There may be a buildup of thick wax that is impeding your cats hearing. Ear mites may have infested the ear, or most devastatingly, tumors.
- A rapid onset of hearing loss can also be caused by neurological problems.
There are no real treatments for this.
- Hearing aids HAVE been tried, but they are not properly fitting and the cats despise having something stuck in their ear.
- The sudden loss can be temporary, it is not always permanent.
Treatments for Hearing Loss in Cats
- As a treatment for sudden hearing loss in cats, a good inspection and ear cleaning regularly can prevent wax build up. Use some apple cider or white vinegar 1x a week. Allow the solution to break up the wax and massage ears gently to facilitate removal.
- If ear mites are present, a good cleansing to start with, followed by a rubbing of oil in the ear will kill the mites. The soap and water will cleanse, the oil will smother them.
- If all other attempts fail at answering why the sudden hearing loss, see a vet. A special test will need to be done to check for masses or infection deep down inside the eardrum.
- Remember that cats with hearing loss can still feel vibrations, so you can still get their attentions by clapping and stirring up air close to them.
- Cats will compensate for hearing loss with their other senses.
- You can also read more about deafness in labradors and its treatment options.
- Anorexia in Cats: Causes, Remedies and Treatments for Loss of Appetite
- Dog Hair Loss Allergies: Causes and Treatment for Hair Loss in Dogs
- Cat Pimple: Causes, Home Treatments and Cures for Acne in Cats
- Diet for Cats with Kidney Disease: Homemade Foods for Cat’s Kidney Problem
- Dandruff in Cats: Causes, Home Remedies and Natural Treatments