Flaxseed Oil for Dogs Side Effects and Their Benefits: Tips and Suggestion
Flaxseed oil for dogs has been recommended by veterinarians over the recent years as a food supplement. The flaxseed diet, also known as the Budwig Diet, was first proposed in 1951 for humans. It has also been shown to be beneficial in dogs after its success in the prevention and cure of certain diseases in humans.
Flaxseed Oil for Dogs
- Rich sources of flaxseed oil that can also be incorporated in a dog’s daily diet include soybeans, salmons and sardines.
- Flaxseed oil is an essential fatty acid that plays a major role in fighting cancer and strengthening the immune system.
- A dog that nutritionally lacks flaxseed oil and other essential fatty acids in its diet often suffers from a flaky skin, dull coat and autoimmune disorders.
- An effective dosage is about ½ to 1 teaspoon added to the dog food. A larger dog, however, will need a larger dose of flax seed oil. Flax seed oil for dogs is available in bottles and in capsule form.
Flaxseed Oil for Dogs Side Effects
- Since flaxseed oil is often found in fish, it can cause smelly breath in dogs.
- It can also cause diarrhea and loose stools.
- Some dogs respond poorly to flaxseed oil and may exhibit signs of an allergic reaction. It is best to ask a veterinarian about using flaxseed oil as a food supplement.
Flaxseed Oil for Dogs Benefits
- Flaxseed oil is helpful in the prevention and treatment of cancer and tumor growth in dogs. Regular intake can strengthen the immune system and help prevent free radicals from combining with healthy cells.
- Flaxseed oil
- Recent studies have shown that flaxseed oil is useful in the treatment of inflammatory diseases such as arthritis, joint problems and bowel disorders.
The fatty acid eases symptoms and prevents flares from happening if taken on a regular basis.
- As a preventive measure for cardiovascular diseases, flaxseed oil regulates cholesterol levels, heart rhythm and blood pressure. Flaxseed oil can be given alongside medications prescribed in patients with heart problems.
- Flaxseed oil can also help dogs suffering from allergies. These dogs usually have a poor immune system and the introduction of flaxseed oil in their diet will usually help them cope with allergies and make it less of a problem.
Dogs suffering from dull or very dry coats are often prescribed with flaxseed oil supplements. Dull coats are often a sign of a weaker immune system. After a week or two of flaxseed oil supplement, dog owners usually notice that a dog’s coat is shinier and looks healthier.