Dangerous Foods and Things That Dogs should Never Eat: Tips & Suggestion
Foods Dog should never Eat
- Certain foods that are good for humans and other animals can have dangerous effects to dogs.
- Since dogs have different way of processing and metabolizing food inside their body, they have different reaction to various kinds of foods.
- Though some types of food can cause mild stomach upsets, others can pose major illnesses and even death.
- The following are foods that should never be given to dogs:
- Alcohol – This can cause severe stomach condition, problems with the central nervous system, and even death when given too much.
- Mushrooms – These contain toxic substances that have tremendous effects to the dog’s system once ingested. These can cause shock and death.
- Milk and its products – Almost fifty percent of dogs cannot tolerate lactose. Giving milk and other dairy products can cause digestive problems like diarrhea and vomiting which can dehydrate them.
Dangerous Foods Dogs should never Eat
Aside from the above mentioned foods, there are other toxic foods that must never be fed to dogs as these can cause severe illness to them, like the ones below:
- Chocolate – It is known that chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine which has stimulating effects to the nervous system, leading to various symptoms and even sudden death in dogs.
- Coffee – Because of its caffeine content, this too can be dangerous for dogs like chocolates. Caffeine toxicity poses risk to the nervous system of dogs.
- Onions and garlic – These contain thiosulphate which is a toxic substance in dogs that can weaken their red blood cells, resulting to severe anemia and death.
- Macadamia nuts – When these are consumed in large quantities, dogs can develop various symptoms like tremors, weakness, vomiting, stomach pain, stiffness and walking difficulty.
Things Dogs should Never Eat
Besides foods, dogs have the tendency to munch on objects.
Below are list of things that can be dangerous to dogs once ingested:
- Mothballs – Naphthalene, which is the major component of mothballs, causes seizures and tremors when eaten.
- Acetaminophen – Dogs in pain should never be given with pain killers for human. Acetaminophen, for instance, has a tremendous strength that can kill a pet in just 24 hours after taking it. Associated symptoms include vomiting, anorexia and depression.
- Raw eggs – Eggs when uncooked carry bacteria like E. coli and salmonella. Eggs can also cause skin conditions in dogs.
- Xylitol – This compound causes liver failure in dogs. It can be found in toothpaste, gums and candies.