Flu is the name given to a condition caused by several viral strains. It can affect cats, but it is not as fatal when it happens to a healthy cat. Treatment is usually supportive.
There are two common viral culprits of cat flu, these include:
- Feline Herpes Virus 1 (FHV 1)
- Feline Calicivirus (FCV)
The symptoms for the two are similar, but there are some differentiating symptoms. They are:
- Inflamed or watery eyes
- Inflamed nasal lining
- Loss of appetite
- Lost Pregnancy – Female cats that are pregnant when they get the FHV 1 Flu will most likely abort the pregnancy.
- Ulcers on the tongue and mouth
- Drooling as a result of ulcers.
- Runny nose
- Watery eyes
- Joint Pain – May cause limping in affected cats
- Ulcers on Paws
Cat Flu Treatment
Since Cat Flu is caused by a virus, there is no known cure for the condition. Viral infections are self-limiting. It means that it will go away on its own, even without treatment. Supportive treatment is going to be what’s necessary.
Supportive treatment give to cats with the flu include:
- Cage Rest
- Fluid Therapy
- Antihistamine – Helps reduce sneezing, itching, and watery eyes.
- Antipyretic – Reduces fever
- Analgesic – Manages pain. This could be given orally or topically to deal with the ulcers in a FCV infection.
- Nutritional Therapy – Given to cats with anorexia.
To prevent cat flu from happening, it may be necessary to give the feline a cat flu vaccination. Vets can tell owners when the ideal time for vaccination is. There may be one or two seasons each year when a cat needs vaccination against the flu.
Cat Flu Natural Remedies
Natural remedies for cats with the flu will be focused on the supportive. These includes:
- Rest – the animal will need its rest so confine it to the inside of the house or to its cage.
- Fluid therapy – Make sure that the cat gets enough water
There may also be some natural treatments that help address pain and congestion.
- Feline Sneezing, Watery Eyes and Coughing | Causes and Natural Cures
- Dog Flu Remedies: Home Remedies and Natural Treatment for Dog Flu
- Cat (Feline) Urinary Problems: Causes, Symptoms and Natural Home Remedies
- Is Feline Herpes Contagious: Symptoms, Causes and Natural Treatment
- Muscle Pain in Dogs: Symptoms, Causes and Natural Home Remedies