Are African Violets Poisonous to Cats? What Are Their Allergic Reactions?

September 23, 2011 | Healthy Cat | |

African violet is one of the numerous widely cultivated indoor plants. It adds a certain glow to every room. This plant is easy to nurture and cultivate, but pet owners are often left wondering whether any new additions are safe enough for house pets such as cats. The answer is simple enough: African flowers are considered as one of the non-toxic plants which are safe enough for all animals. The flower has been proven to contain no known toxins which could affect a cat’s system upon ingestion.

It is the cat’s nature, especially kittens to nibble on almost everything. Felines are generally very adventurous and often try to sample every form of vegetation they see. It is very important for the pet owners to always keep in mind the safety of their friends prior to adding indoor decorations or plants. Responsible pet owners make sure the plant is safe for all members of the household.

Are Cats Allergic to African Violets?

African Violets are proven by the Animal Poison Control Centre to have no known toxic effects in cats. Some studies have proven that ingestion of safe plants may aid in curbing indigestion. But pet owners must always remember that cats are primarily carnivores, for their intestines are built to digest only meats. Digesting plants would be difficult for the cats.  Meats might not be systemically absorbed, and this might give them some mild irritation, especially to the cat’s gastro-intestinal tract.

Are There Any Allergic Reactions Of African Violets to Cats?

Cats might not fully digest plants such as African Violets. In some cases irritations that can be experienced by cats.  These include the following:

  • Irritation in the oral cavity of the cat
  • Irritation in the gastro intestinal tract, which could lead to vomiting.
  • Episodes of diarrhea

These reactions are not classified as poisoning. These are just allergic reactions which may happen depending on the quantity of the plant ingested by the cat. Sometimes these are just temporary and symptomatic. If the said symptoms are still experienced by the cat for almost 24 hours, it may be necessary to take them quickly to the veterinarian.

The best way to prevent this kind of situation on cats is to remove indoor plants as much as possible, Redirect the attention of the cat by letting it explore the outdoors. Another form of distraction involves feeding pet cats with special food and treats regularly, to prevent them from eating and destroying house plants.

Comments Closed